venerdì 4 febbraio 2022

The Alchemic Table of Elements

 

The alchemic table of elements 


Alchemist Periodic Chart 




Visit the Nowhere in Particular Cabinet of Curiosities (NIPCOC) to view this and other art installations. A Cabinet of Curiosities includes objects belonging to natural history (sometimes faked/fantasy), geology, ethnography, archaeology, religious or historical relics, works of art (including cabinet paintings), and antiquities.

The Alchemist Periodic Chart was the first piece created and installed in the main tasting room. I wanted something that fit the long, narrow space and combined elements of science and fantasy. After a bit of research and falling in love with an image of an Alchemist Chart, I knew my direction, just not how much crazy work this project would entail and my apologies to Chemists, I seriously bastardized the elements!




Since historically the Alchemist Chart and Periodic Table of Elements come from the same tradition, it was not difficult to playfully merge the two. I went through the various elements, noted those that occurred in both charts and selected others for their visual qualities.




Once I decided on which elements would be included, I needed a symbol for each one. Many of the Alchemists elements already had symbols, but most of the periodic did not, so I began my search. 

I pulled images from a variety of sources. Some of my favorites that may or may not be obvious: 2 Helium - The name is derived from the Greek, ‘helios’ meaning sun, as it was in the sun’s corona that helium was first detected, so I selected the Native American symbol for the Sun. 3 Lithium - Combines the electron diagram and the pill often prescribed for bipolar. This is also a nod to Nirvana. 10 Neon - “Neon”, the Greek analogue of the Latin novum (‘new’) . 

The symbol is from Zibu which is the language of angels and means new beginnings. 18 Argon - The name is derived from the Greek, ‘argos’, meaning idle. Symbol from Idle Hands Tattoo Parlor in SF. 24 Chromium - An image created for the Mistborn book series by Brandon Sanderson, in which they practice the Metallic Arts. 34 Selenium - Selenium Greek σελήνη selene meaning "Moon." Lilith represents the dark side of femininity, sexual taboo and social transgression. 

Her symbol consists of a crescent and a cross, representing both mind and matter. 35 Bromine - Name was derived from the Ancient Greek βρῶμος ("stench"), referring to its sharp and disagreeable smell, so I went with a stylized skunk tail. 36 Krypton - Yes, Krypton is a real element! 40 Zirconium - Name of the mineral zircon (the word is related to Persian zargun (“gold-like” or “as gold”) - Symbol used is an alternate for gold symbol. 41 Niobium - The element was named after Greek Goddess, Niobe. 

This symbol is from a Canadian Naval ship of the same name. 45 Rhodium - The name is derived from the Greek ‘rhodon’, meaning rose coloured. Symbol is a simple Compass Rose. A compass rose, sometimes called a windrose or Rose of the Winds, is a figure on a compass, map. 49 Indium - Named it for the indigo blue line in its spectrum. 

I used this Japanese Kanji because of this page, but not sure why they did! 52 Tellurium - The Latin word for "earth", tellus, so I chose the astronomical symbol for Earth. 53 Iodine - Named after the Greek ἰώδης "violet-coloured," so I had to tribute the master of purple, Prince. 54 Xenon - Greek word ξένον xénon, neuter singular form of ξένος xénos, meaning ‘foreign(er)’, ‘strange(r)’, or ‘guest’. 73 Tantalum - The name is derived from the legendary Greek figure King Tantalus. 

Symbol used from a non-polarized Tantalum Capacitor. 76 Osmium - From Greek ὀσμή, osme, 'smell' so I think I made stylized stink vapors. 77 Iridium - The name is derived from the Greek goddess of the rainbow, Iris. Symbol used is a The fleur-de-lis or fleur-de-lys is a stylized lily. (Two years later, I am not sure why I used a Lily for an Iris! Ha!) 81 Thallium - From Greek θαλλός, thallós, meaning green shoot or twig. 84 Astatine - The name comes from the Greek ‘astatos’, meaning unstable, so I chose the symbol for Radioactive Decay. 88 Radium - Symbol for RadiumCore Crypto Currency (now Validity).




After tracing/drawing the images in Procreate, I had to prepare the files to be printed. Just laying out the files took a few! The next step was getting the files printed on Wall Cling Vinyl at Spark Place. Now I had all of elements and needed to prepare the space.

I had an amazing intern from Sinclair to help with this phase of the piece, thanks Daryll! He taped off and painted the squares where the vinyl would be applied. I thought the white boxes would make the painted vinyl “pop.” but it looks crappy and distracting, so I painted the edges red and began installing the tiles.




Each element tile cut with deckle edge scissors and was hand-painted with a variety of acrylics and wiped off to emulate the look of parchment. The final work was sealed with a poly acrylic.